Saturday 19 March 2011

Educational Improvement

I recently discovered the "Math Encounters Blog" and one of the blogs was a series of quotes he had used recently on his e-mails...
I found this one especially appropriate

From Admiral Rickover, 1983, commenting on how changing a failing school is one of the most difficult challenges around.... "Changing schools is like moving a graveyard".



I also decided I would steal this one for my regular personal use.... .."I don’t believe there is intelligent life on other planets. I believe they are just like us."  


Perhaps adjusted for a classroom poster thusly:  "I don’t believe there is intelligent life on other planets. I believe they are just like my students." 

3 comments:

Steven Colyer said...

I like you first quote better. The second one ... eh. Well at least it would inform the students from day One that they better produce or what is that letter after "E" again?

ziggle314 said...

I have two brothers who are teachers. We have discussed the Rickover comment quite a bit. I wish it weren't so true.

Mathscinotes

Anonymous said...

Claiming that "we" aren't intelligent is much more polite than saying that "you" aren't intelligent. The first is amusing, the second simply insulting.